Pediatric dentistry is the specialty of dentistry that focuses on the oral health of young people. Many families wonder whether they should take their child to their family dentist or look for a pediatric dentist. While a family dentist can certainly care for your child’s teeth and help prevent cavities, they cannot provide the same specialized care your child would receive at a pediatric dentist.
Like other dentists, pediatric dentists attend four years of dental school in addition to receiving a bachelor’s degree. Unlike other dentists, pediatric dentists undergo an additional two to three years of specialty training, which teaches them how to treat the unique dental needs and issues of children. Pediatric dentists also receive training and qualifications for treating children with special needs. This includes working in hospitals and working with children who need more severe dental treatment and emergencies.
We believe your child’s dental experience should be fun, safe, and rewarding. Here are the top advantages of choosing a pediatric dentist for your child:
- Because we treat only children, we have more experience with kids.
- Our office is a fun environment designed to reduce fear and ensure kids develop a positive, life-long relationship with dental health.
- We practice tell-show-do by telling your child what we will be doing, showing each instrument we use and explaining what we will be doing before we do it. We build trust by explaining dental procedures and terms to our patients in kid-friendly language that puts them at ease.
- We use smaller and more kid-friendly dental tools.
- We have extensive knowledge when it comes to preventative care for kids. We understand and can explain the pluses and minuses of pacifier use, thumb sucking or bottle feeding.
- We are better equipped to provide optimal care for children with special needs or dental anxiety. We recognize that each child is unique and may require extra care to feel comfortable.
- We give away kid-friendly prizes at the end of each visit.
Pediatric dentists, like pediatricians, can treat children from birth to college. In fact, most patients who start with our practice as infants stay with us until they are 20 years of age!
At Capital City Pediatric Dentistry, we provide specialized care that developing teeth require.
Sources: American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry (AAPD), Colgate, American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP)